How do I become a cosmetic tattooist?

Firstly you need to complete a government recognised qualification of Design and Provide Cosmetic Tattooing SHBBKS003. This qualification covers three of the following areas of application:

  1. Eyebrow tattooing
  2. Lip Tattooing
  3. Eyeliner Tattooing
  • Infection control certificate SHBBINF001
  • A statement of attainment from a Registered Training Organisation
  • Insurance 
  • Premises that are registered for skin penetration with the local council
  • SHBBSKS003 Design and Provide Cosmetic Tattoo
  • SHBBINF001 Maintain Infection Standards
  • HLTINF005 Maintain Infection Prevention for Skin Penetration Treatments

1 – Infection control certificate SHBBINF001

If you are planning to become a cosmetic tattooing  artist you must have or obtain an infection control certificate. This must be issued by an RTO.

If you have a diploma in beauty therapy or a health care service you may already have this qualification. Check your units of competency in your existing qualification to find out.

2 – Certification from a Registered Training Organisation SHBBKS003

RTO stands for Registered training organisation and anyone who wishes to be a cosmetic tattooist in Australia is required to hold this certification.

There are a lot of people offering cosmetic tattoo training and courses, but cannot sign you off with a valid certificate.

Be sure to check that your trainer’s qualifications are up to date before committing to any enrolment, as if your trainer’s qualification is not valid then the certificates they are handing out are not valid either.

3 – Insurance

If you are employed by a salon, the salon will need to make sure that they are covered to provide cosmetic tattooing services. If you are operating as a sole trader (working for yourself) you will need to take out your own professional indemnity insurance, as well as public liability if you are opening a home salon or retail space.

4 – Premises

To provide your services to the public you will need a suitable space to work in. Whether this is a room rented in an existing salon, or if you are setting up a home studio you will need to notify the local council in the area of your operations and ensure that your premises meet their standards.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.